Graduate Diploma of Arts

Why undertake a Graduate Diploma of Arts?

The Graduate Diploma of Arts course is designed primarily for those who hold a tertiary qualification in a non-theological discipline, who wish to pursue a graduate qualification in theology, and who are seeking skills in theological studies to enhance their professional work. Graduates will be able to apply a body of theological knowledge in a range of contexts relating to ministry and/or further learning.

What do I need to gain entry?

One of the following:

  • A three-year AQF level 7 award (usually a bachelor degree) in any discipline;
  • Meet the English Language requirements for entry to the course. If your previous studies were undertaken in another language you’ll need to complete an IELTS test and have a result of 7.0 with no score less than 7.0 in all bands of the test;
  • Applicants who have completed the SCD Graduate Certificate in Arts may receive full credit into the Graduate Diploma however they are required to hand back the Graduate Certificate upon graduation from the Graduate Diploma.

How long will I be studying for?

1 year full time or up to 3 years part time. The maximum time allowed is 3 years. Full time is usually three or four units per semester, part time is one or two.

How much will it cost?

  • The fees per unit and indicative annual fees differ between Teaching Bodies. There is a chart of indicative costs here, but please contact the registrar at the appropriate Teaching Body for further information;
  • FEE-HELP is available, make sure that you read and understand the information on FEE-HELP here and make sure that you include on your application that you would like to use FEE-HELP.

How will I attend lectures?

Online, face-to-face or a combination of both. This differs depending on the Teaching Body that you decide to study with. Contact the registrar of the applicable Teaching Body for further information.

How do I enrol?

You can access the application form from the website of the Teaching Body with which you would like to study, or contact their registrar to have a chat about the course. You will need to provide some supporting documentation including certified copies (signed by a JP or other authorised person) of:

  • 100 points of ID (usually a passport/birth certificate and driver’s licence);
  • Transcripts from previous study;
  • Change of name documentation and/or the results of an IELTS test if relevant.

The registrar at the Teaching Body you are submitting your application to will let you know if there is anything else that you need to provide.

What do I have to do to make sure I complete my course successfully?

8 units (72 credit points) to be selected from 8500 and 9600 series units – These units can be selected from any discipline, or a specialisation may be obtained by undertaking four or more units in one discipline as long as at least one of those units is at the 9600 level.

These units are broken up into four Disciplines, which are in turn broken up into Sub-Disciplines. These are:

It is not essential to complete any particular combination of these disciplines unless you are required to do so for professional reasons (for example, if you are undertaking the Graduate Diploma of Arts for accreditation to teach in Catholic Schools, the Catholic Education office in your diocese may insist that you complete certain units as part of your studies). This is not decided by the SCD, and you should refer to your employer for advice in this matter.

I’ve done previous study in Theology, what should I do?

You could be eligible for credit, but this is capped at four units depending on the study you’ve completed. Have a chat to the registrar at your chosen Teaching Body about applying for this.

I want to complete more study after my Graduate Diploma of Arts, what should I do?

This depends on where you want to go in your career, and what your grades have been like throughout your studies. The Graduate Diploma of Arts is a ‘nested’ degree with the Master of Arts. This means that it is possible to receive full credit into the Master of Arts if you hand back your Graduate Certificate in Arts documents. After completion of the Master of Arts it is possible to enter a Master of Theology and from there a Doctoral program.