Master of Theological Studies
Why undertake a Master of Theological Studies?
The Master of Theological Studies is designed for those who hold a Graduate Certificate in Theological Studies and who wish to pursue a further qualification in the disciplines of Theology or Biblical Studies as part of their continuing education for ministry.
What do I need to gain entry?
One of the following:
- An SCD Graduate Certificate in Theological Studies or equivalent;
- Meet the English Language requirements for entry to the course. If your previous studies were undertaken in another language you’ll need to complete an IELTS test and have a result of 7.0 with no score less than 7.0 in all bands of the test.
How long will I be studying for?
1 year full time or up to 3 years part time. The maximum time allowed is 3 years. Full time is usually three or four units per semester, part time is one or two.
How much will it cost?
- The fees per unit and indicative annual fees differ between Teaching Bodies. There is a chart of indicative costs here, but please contact the registrar at the appropriate Teaching Body for further information;
- FEE-HELP is available, make sure that you read and understand the information on FEE-HELP here and make sure that you include on your application that you would like to use FEE-HELP.
How will I attend lectures?
Online, face-to-face or a combination of both. This differs depending on the Teaching Body that you decide to study with. Contact the registrar of the applicable Teaching Body for further information.
How do I enrol?
You can access the application form from the website of the Teaching Body with which you would like to study, or contact their registrar to have a chat about the course. You will need to provide some supporting documentation including certified copies (signed by a JP or other authorised person) of:
- 100 points of ID (usually a passport/birth certificate and driver’s licence);
- Transcripts from previous study;
- Change of name documentation and/or the results of an IELTS test if relevant.
The registrar at the Teaching Body you are submitting your application to will let you know if there is anything else that you need to provide.
What do I have to do to make sure I complete my course successfully?
8 units (72 credit points) to be selected from 8500 and 9600 series units:
- Four core units from Theology and Biblical Studies;
- Two elective units;
- 1 Research Methodology unit;
- At least 1 Generic Research unit/ Research Project/ Capstone unit.
SCD units are broken up into four Disciplines, which are in turn broken up into Sub-Disciplines. These are:
It is possible to complete a specialization in either Theology or Biblical Studies by completing four units in the desired discipline, at least one of which needs to be at 9600 level.
I’ve done previous study in Theology, what should I do?
You could be eligible for credit, but this is capped at four units depending on the study you’ve completed. Have a chat to the registrar at your chosen Teaching Body about applying for this.
I want to complete more study after my Master of Theological Studies, what should I do?
This depends on where you want to go in your career, and what your grades have been like throughout your studies. The SCD offers a range of Masters and further Higher Degree Research courses, have a chat with the registrar at your chosen Teaching Body if you’re interested in undertaking further study.