Master of Divinity

Why undertake a Master of Divinity?

The Master of Divinity course is designed for two categories of candidates:

Those who hold a tertiary qualification in a non-theological discipline, who seek a comprehensive education in theology comparable in breadth and depth to the Bachelor of Theology, including a deeper biblical and theological understanding, spiritual formation, and cultural literacy that will prepare them for ordained or other professional ministry in church, parachurch or non-profit organizations, and other similar vocational settings.

Those who hold a tertiary qualification in a theological discipline who wish to pursue a graduate qualification in theology as part of their continuing ministerial education.

What do I need to gain entry?

One of the following:

  • A three-year AQF level 7 award (usually a bachelor degree) in any discipline;
  • Articulate from another SCD degree;
  • Have adequate grounds for professional entry;

Meet the English Language requirements for entry to the course. If your previous studies were undertaken in another language you’ll need to complete an IELTS test and have a result of 7.0 with no score less than 7.0 in all bands of the test.

How long will I be studying for?

3 years full time or up to 9 years part time. The maximum time allowed is 9 years. Full time is usually three or four units per semester, part time is one or two.

How much will it cost?

  • The fees per unit and indicative annual fees differ between Teaching Bodies. There is a chart of indicative costs here, but please contact the registrar at the appropriate Teaching Body for further information;
  • FEE-HELP is available, make sure that you read and understand the information on FEE-HELP here and make sure that you include on your application that you would like to use FEE-HELP.

How will I attend lectures?

Online, face-to-face or a combination of both. This differs depending on the Teaching Body that you decide to study with. Contact the registrar of the applicable Teaching Body for further information.

How do I enrol?

You can access the application form from the website of the Teaching Body with which you would like to study, or contact their registrar to have a chat about the course. You will need to provide some supporting documentation including certified copies (signed by a JP or other authorised person) of:

  • 100 points of ID (usually a passport/birth certificate and driver’s licence);
  • Transcripts from previous study;
  • Change of name documentation and/or the results of an IELTS test if relevant.

The registrar at the Teaching Body you are submitting your application to will let you know if there is anything else that you need to provide.

What do I have to do to make sure I complete my course successfully?

24 units (216 credit points) at the following different levels:

  • 8500 level = introductory units
  • 9600 level = advanced units

These units are broken up into four Disciplines, which are in turn broken up into Sub-Disciplines. These are:

Either two specialisations and one sub-specialisation or one specialisation and two sub-specialisations.

What is a Specialisation? – Six units, consisting of no more than two units at 8500 level, and at least two units at 9600 level. At least three units must be in the same sub-discipline. At least one of these must be in the disciplines of Biblical Studies or Theology unless these are both of your sub-specialisations.

What is a sub-specialisation? – Four units. No more than two 8500 level and at least two 9600 level. At least one of these must be in the disciplines of Biblical Studies or Theology unless these are both of your specialisations.

If you decide to complete a Specialisation in biblical studies then you also need to complete at least one unit in Biblical Languages.

At least 8 units at 9600 level;

At least a sub-specialisation in both Biblical Studies and Theology;

At least one Specialisation;

At least one Church History Unit;

At least four units from the following sub-disciplines: Christian Ethics, Christian Spirituality, Pastoral Counselling, Worship and Liturgy, Mission, Pastoral Theology.

At least one Generic Research unit/ Capstone unit/ Research essay/ or Research Project (no more than 36cp worth of research units);

One 8500 level Research Methodology unit (can be completed before or concurrently with the Research Project or Essay);

No more than 8 units in Philosophy;

No more than 12 units in Pastoral Theology.

I’ve done previous study in Theology, what should I do?

You could be eligible for credit, but this is capped at 12 units depending on the study you’ve completed. Have a chat to the registrar at your chosen Teaching Body about applying for this.

I want to complete more study after my Master of Divinity, what should I do?

This depends on where you want to go in your career, and what your grades have been like throughout your studies. For students who have achieved a credit average or above throughout their studies it is possible to complete the Bachelor of Theology (Honours), and then if a certain standard is achieved in this and you would like to go deeper into your theological studies you could pursue a Doctoral program. Have a chat with the registrar of your chosen Teaching Body if this is something that you’d like to consider doing. Alternatively, it is possible to continue your studies in a Master of Arts or Master of Theology.