Graduate Certificate in Leadership
The Graduate Certificate in Leadership (GradCertLead) is an AQF Level 8 award. It is designed for those who have a three-year undergraduate degree in the field of philosophy and religious studies, and wish to focus on leadership and pursue a further qualification as part of their continuing education for ministry.
The Graduate Certificate in Leadership focuses on building leadership capacity for people involved in a wide scope of religious, non-profit, community-focused enterprises. Students may be working for denominational based organisations in education, welfare, aged care, local church or other ministries requiring specific leadership training for ministry or mission.
6 months full-time or 1.5 years part-time
An applicant for admission to candidature for the Graduate Certificate in Leadership shall:
- hold a three year AQF 7 award in the field of philosophy and religious studies (Australian Standard Classification of Education field 0917 – Philosophy and Religious Studies) from an accredited Australian tertiary institution; or
- hold, from a university or other tertiary institution, qualifications approved by the Sydney College of Divinity Student Support and Administration Committee as equivalent to such an award.
Notwithstanding the provisions of this regulation the Student Support and Administration Committee may require an applicant to demonstrate fitness for admission as a candidate for this degree by carrying out such work and/or sitting for such examinations as the Student Support and Administration Committee may determine.
In exceptional cases an applicant may be admitted as a candidate for a Graduate Certificate in Leadership if the applicant submits evidence of other academic and professional attainments to the Student Support and Administration Committee.
No candidate for the Graduate Certificate in Leadership may be concurrently enrolled in any other undergraduate or postgraduate course within the Sydney College of Divinity or any other tertiary institution, unless approval has been granted by the Sydney College of Divinity Academic Board.
Applicants whose entry qualifications were obtained in an institution where English is not the language of instruction normally will be required to demonstrate competency in English by an IELTS (or equivalent) result of 7.0 in all bands of the test and may be required to attend such English language courses as prescribed by the Sydney College of Divinity.
The Graduate Certificate in Leadership requires the completion of 36 credit points (4 units) from 8500 and 9600 series units in the Sydney College of Divinity (SCD) Schedule of Units of Study.
The four units shall include:
- one compulsory unit (9 cps): P8570 Foundations of Christian Leadership
- one core unit (9 cps) taken from the list of approved Master of Leadership core units
- two elective units from the 8500 and 9600 series in the SCD Schedule of Units (18 cps)
Graduates will have added particular knowledge and skills in leadership to their theological education to enhance their work in the religious sector:
Graduates will possess:
- specialised theoretical and technical knowledge related to the practice of leadership particular to the management and governance of a complex religious, non-profit, ministry enterprise;
- an understanding of the principles of inquiry and methods applicable to leadership theory and their application to real-world ministry practice.
Graduates will demonstrate specialised cognitive and technical skills in leadership within a ministry-related body of knowledge, so that they are able independently to:
- analyse critically, evaluate, and apply information to complete a range of activities associated with leadership in a ministry related context;
- analyse, generate and provide solutions to complex problems to guide the effective governance, management and operations of a religious, non-profit, community organization;
- transmit knowledge, skills and ideas through coherent and sustained leadership to specialist and non-specialist audiences.
Applications of Knowledge and Skills
Graduates will possess the ability to:
- apply knowledge and skills in a way that demonstrates autonomy, well developed judgment, adaptability, and responsibility as leaders in religious, non-profit, community-focused enterprises;
- plan and execute a research or field-based project in an area of work-based leadership.
Articulation to other awards
Students are eligible to articulate to the Graduate Diploma in Leadership on completion of which students are required to surrender their Graduate Certificate.
The Graduate Certificate in Leadership is offered through the individual colleges and an application for enrolment must be made to the Registrar of the teaching institution. The registrar will be able to help you with any information regarding your study, including fees, units, mode of delivery and timetable.
A domestic Sydney College of Divinity student is designated as full-time if enrolled in three units (27 credit points) or more in a semester or part-time if enrolled in less than three units (27 credit points) per semester.
For more information contact us at [email protected]