Graduate Certificate in Theological Education

Why undertake a Graduate Certificate in Theological Education?

The Graduate Certificate in Theological Education course is designed for those who hold a tertiary qualification in the field of philosophy and religious studies, and who are engaged in theological education, who wish to pursue a graduate qualification in theological education, in order to enhance their professional work.

What do I need to gain entry?

One of the following:

  • A three-year AQF level 7 award (usually a bachelor degree) in the field of Philosophy and Religious Studies from an Australian tertiary institution or equivalent;
  • Current or previous experience as a theological educator in the tertiary sector;

Meet the English Language requirements for entry to the course. If your previous studies were undertaken in another language you’ll need to complete an IELTS test and have a result of 7.0 with no score less than 7.0 in all bands of the test.

How long will I be studying for?

6 months full time or up to 2 years (4 semesters) part time. The maximum time allowed is 2 years. Full time is usually three or four units per semester, part time is one or two.

How much will it cost?

  • The fees per unit and indicative annual fees differ between Teaching Bodies. There is a chart of indicative costs here, but please contact the registrar at the appropriate Teaching Body for further information;
  • FEE-HELP is available, make sure that you read and understand the information on FEE-HELP here and make sure that you include on your application that you would like to use FEE-HELP.

How will I attend lectures?

Online, face-to-face or a combination of both. This differs depending on the Teaching Body that you decide to study with. Contact the registrar of the applicable Teaching Body for further information.

How do I enrol?

You can access the application form from the website of the Teaching Body with which you would like to study, or contact their registrar to have a chat about the course. You will need to provide some supporting documentation including certified copies (signed by a JP or other authorised person) of:

  • 100 points of ID (usually a passport/birth certificate and driver’s licence);
  • Transcripts from previous study;
  • Change of name documentation and/or the results of an IELTS test if relevant.

The registrar at the Teaching Body you are submitting your application to will let you know if there is anything else that you need to provide.

What do I have to do to make sure I complete my course successfully?

4 units (36 credit points) to be selected from 8500 and 9600 series units:

  • Two compulsory units:
    • D8501 Principles of Theological Education
    • D9620 Theological Pedagogy
  • Two elective units from the list of those available for the Graduate Certificate in Theological Education:
    • D8501 Principles of Theological Education
    • D8502 Contemporary Issues in Theological Education
    • D9601 Theological Pedagogy
    • D9602 Theological Curriculum
    • D9691 Research Project (9 credit point)
    • D9697 Seminar in Theological Education (9 credit point)

I’ve done previous study in Theological Education, what should I do?

You could be eligible for credit, but this is capped at nine credit points. Your previous study would need to be at the graduate level and the outcomes, content, demand hours and assessment equivalent to that of units in this award. Have a chat to the registrar at your chosen Teaching Body about applying for this.

I want to complete more study after my Graduate Certificate in Theological Education, what should I do?

This depends on where you want to go in your career, and what your grades have been like throughout your studies. Two units can be credited into either the Master of Divinity or Master of Theology if you wish to retain the Graduate Certificate in Theological Education, or four units if you are willing to surrender the documents. Further study can then be undertaken in a Doctoral Program, depending on the grades attained during Masters level study.