Research Degree Thesis Writers’ Workshop
Candidates in their first year of enrolment must attend a Research Degree Workshop in addition to the Research Seminars, provided that they have not previously attended such a seminar with the Sydney College of Divinity as part of a previous award. Regardless of such previous attendance, they may be required to attend those parts of the Workshop considered relevant to their current research.
Research workshops are compulsory for all new thesis writers, including DMin candidates moving to the thesis stage of their candidature. Held annually, they are offered in intensive mode, early in first semester and may also be offered early in the second semester. New thesis writers may be at slightly different stages of preparation for the research but all will find the matters covered wholly or largely relevant to their situation. Presented by various lecturers, they are designed to introduce candidates to practical matters affecting the production of a thesis such as:
- defining a thesis topic and planning chapters
- research methodologies
- bibliographical aids
- using the library to best effect in research
- writing a formal thesis proposal
- ethical considerations and ethics clearance procedures
- examiners’ expectations
- guidelines for writing and documenting
- writing an abstract
- participating in the SCD research seminars and in conferences.