The Sydney College of Divinity is broadly in the tradition of the University of London, which was established in 1836 as a non-teaching body to provide examinations for multiple colleges around England. When Higher Education was being introduced into Australia in the late 1840s, the promoters of the University of Sydney found this innovative multi-college model more attractive than that of the more ancient single-campus universities– especially as a way of allowing for the distinctives of the various Christian denominations to find a proper place within the university environment. Sydney College of Divinity continues this ecumenical and co-operative tradition to the great advantage of its students.
Member Institutions are Christian colleges that deliver the Sydney College of Divinity undergraduate and postgraduate (coursework) awards. Each Member Institution belongs to the Sydney College of Divinity by dint of a Memorandum of Understanding.
The Member Institutions are
The Sydney College of Divinity through its schools, Graduate Research School and Korean School of Theology, delivers Higher Degree by Research and Korean undergraduate and postgraduate (coursework) awards respectively.
International students can study full time on-campus with
- Australian College of Christian Studies (formerly Emmaus Bible College)
Study postgraduate awards at their Sydney and Perth campuses.
– Level 2, 29 George St, Burwood, Sydney NSW 2134
– Perth Bible College, 1 College Court, Karrinyup, Perth WA 6018
- Catholic Institute of Sydney
Study undergraduate and postgraduate awards at their Sydney campus.
– 99 Albert Road, Strathfield, Sydney NSW 2135
- Nazarene Theological College
Study undergraduate and postgraduate awards at their Brisbane campus.
– 40 Woodlands Drive, Thornlands, Brisbane QLD 4164
- Korean School of Theology
Study undergraduate and postgraduate awards delivered in Korean at their Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne campuses.
– Sydney College of Divinity, 6B 5 Talavera Road, North Ryde, Sydney NSW 2113
– Nazarene Theological College, 40 Woodlands Drive, Thornlands, Brisbane QLD 4164
– Yarra Theological Union, 98 Albion Road, Box Hill, Melbourne VIC 3128
- Graduate Research School
Study Higher Degree by Research at their Sydney campus.
– 6B 5 Talavera Road, North Ryde, Sydney NSW 2113
What’s special about Member Institutions
Member Institutions, who are established colleges from various Christian traditions, grant the Sydney College of Divinity an ecumenical identity.
Sydney College of Divinity aims to manifest the unity of the church by the witness it gives to cooperation in theological education. Each Christian tradition has preserved better than others one or more aspects of the mystery of God’s work in Christ. The work of unity aims at restoring the fullness of our common appreciation of that mystery. Sydney College of Divinity is a consortium of the Member Institutions and together we celebrate faith in Christ and life in the Spirit.
What does this mean for you, the student?
- Enrol in any of the colleges based on your preference – location, delivery mode, Christian tradition, personal, ministry and professional interests – and graduate with an accredited Sydney College of Divinity award
- Choose and study units across any Member Institution college while enrolled in a degree with one college
- Learn about that which is different. You can take a peep out of your provincial perspective and open yourself to the bigger picture. Ecumenism is a way of living that dares to think globally and live trustfully with differences in community
- Determine the appropriate mode of delivery for your degree program and units, as each college offers a range of study options
- Be mentored, taught, and challenged by experienced, qualified, and practitioner lecturers who also co-teach across Member Institutions
- Have the opportunity to enrol in intensives delivered at any college and learn from guest lecturers who are often internationally acclaimed scholars
The awards offered by the colleges are from the Sydney College of Divinity shared curriculum. This means that though the individual college curriculum is structured around their ethos, global church ministry needs, and traditions, the academic integrity of the degree program is maintained through the academic governance of the Sydney College of Divinity.
Extended library resources
As a student, you will have access to libraries across the Member Institutions. This means access to a range of quality holdings and specialist collections, including thousands of digital resources, you can access anytime from anywhere.
Colleges with holistic approach
Our Member Institutions belong to different Christian denominations/traditions. They are established colleges who have been teaching theology for decades. They have the heart, mission-mindedness, experience, and commitment to building Christians to fulfill their calling. Their approach to learning is holistic as they structure their study model to help you grow spiritually, academically and in practical ministry. Many are engaged with other Christian missions and partner with colleges around the globe to bring you the best learning and teaching methodologies and practices to ensure that they are meeting the changing needs of the ministry.
Explore our Member Institutions, the SCD Graduate Research School, and the SCD Korean School of Theology to discover the ideal learning space for you. To graduate with a Sydney College of Divinity award students must enrol with one of our teaching bodies. Contact the College Registrar for more information.
Australian College of Christian Studies
Mr Winston Cole
Australian College of Ministries
Mr Benjamin Lee
Catholic Institute of Sydney
Mr Jason Israel
Korean School of Theology
Ms Kathy Seo
Nazarene Theological College
Mrs Pam Reed
Nisibis Assyrian Theological College
Ms Rania Boustani
NSW College of Clinical Pastoral Education
Ms Carolyn Dann
SCD Graduate Research School
Interim - Jim Harrison
St Andrew's Greek Orthodox Theological College
Mr Anastasios Kalogerakis
St Cyril's Coptic Orthodox Theological College
Mr Mounir Azer