Student visa

Visa conditions

You can enter and remain in Australia as an international student only if you hold a valid student visaYour student visa will be subject to a range of conditions. If you do not meet those conditions, your visa may be cancelled.

Your visa will be issued for the course listed on your Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE). If you change or extend your course, you may need to change your visa or visa details. Restrictions apply to changes and extensions.

The student visa allows you to

  • participate in an eligible course of study in Australia
  • travel in and out of Australia
  • work up to 40 hours every 2-week period once your course starts (for undergraduate and postgraduate coursework students as on January 2020)

What you must do when you have this visa

  • You and your family members who apply with you must meet all visa conditions and obey Australian laws.
  • To see your specific conditions, work and study entitlements see your visa grant letter or  Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO)

Australia student visa compliance

An international student is required to comply with all of their student visa conditions at all times. Some of the key conditions are

  1. Completing your course on time

The course must be completed in the time frame of your Confirmation of Enrolment (COE). This means that you need to maintain full-time enrolment of 4 units (36 credit points) per semester, including a minimum of one unit per semester in face-to-face mode, and at least two-thirds of the total units in face-to-face mode. If you under-enrol or not follow advice from faculty, you may not be able to get an extension on your COE.

  1. Maintaining satisfactory academic progress

You must make successful academic progress in accordance with the College rules and requirements. If you fail to maintain satisfactory progress, the College may be required to cancel your COE.*

  1. Paying tuition fees on time

Tuition fees must be paid on time before the census date. Failure to pay will result in cancellation of your COE.*

  1. Notifying the College of any change in address

You must notify the College your residential address within 7 days of arriving in Australia and any subsequent change within 7 days of changing your address.

  1. Maintaining a current Overseas Health Cover (OSHC)

You must maintain Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the duration of your student visa.

  1. Working while on student visa

You can only start working after you have commenced the course. During the semesters you can work up to 40 hours per fortnight. You can work unlimited hours during College semester holidays. If you are studying a postgraduate research course you are exempt from the restricted work hours and can work unlimited hours

*If the College cancels your COE, we will have to report the cancellation to the Department of Home Affairs (DHA). In this situation, you must contact DHA within 28 days of your COE cancellation date. Failure to contact the Department of Home Affairs may result in the automatic cancellation of your student visa.

How long you can stay

This is a temporary visa. You cannot stay in Australia beyond the visa expiry date. The student visa grant period will depend on the type of course and its length. To see when you must leave, use VEVO.

Staying longer

You cannot stay in Australia longer by extending this visa. To continue studying in Australia, you must apply for a new student visa.

Visa expiry before graduation

If your student visa will expire before your graduation, you might be able to apply for another visa that meets your circumstances such as a visitor visa. You will need a letter from Sydney College of Divinity which states the date of your graduation.

Working on a student visa

Except in limited circumstances, you cannot work until your course has started. When your course is in session you can work up to 40 hours in a two-week period (per fortnight). A fortnight is calculated as a 14-day period starting on a Monday.

If you are a postgraduate research student on a student visa, you can work unlimited hours during your studies. However, bear in mind that your visa requires you to maintain a full-time enrolment and complete your course within the duration specified in your Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE).

It is the students responsibility to ensure that any work undertaken is permitted within their visa conditions. To know more about the visa conditions that affect your work situation, visit VEVO.

Find a Course
Back to top