Student visa

Overseas Student Health Cover

An international student must maintain adequate health insurance for the duration of the student visa as it is a condition of the visa. This means you need to purchase Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) and keep your policy up to date as long as you hold this visa.

OSHC assists international students to meet the costs of medical and hospital care they may need while in Australia. OSHC also includes ambulance cover and limited pharmaceuticals. These may range from a basic product which covers only the compulsory minimum services to comprehensive products which cover, in addition to the compulsory minimum services, extra services as specified under the particular policy.

OSHC is offered by certain insurers under a Deed of Agreement with the Department of Health to provide adequate health insurance to students at a reasonable cost. Only a small number of registered health insurers offer OSHC

Health Insurer Insurers website
ahm OSHC
Allianz Global Assistance (Peoplecare Health) 
BUPA Australia
CBHS International Health
Medibank Private

Always view the latest on OSHC and its providers for updated information.

Some exceptions may apply and you should check with the Department of Home Affairs to find out if special arrangements apply to you and if you are exempt from the requirement to purchase OSHC.

As holding OSHC is a visa requirement, take care to maintain your cover at all times. If your visa status changes at any time, inform your insurer as soon as possible to find out whether your level of cover is still suitable. When your student visa expires, then you are no longer eligible to hold OSHC.

Find a Course
Back to top