The Subclass 500 Student Visa allows international students to participate in a course of study in Australia.
It is important to note that to apply for a student visa you must
- be enrolled in a course of study in Australia
- hold Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC), or fall in one of the exemption categories, for your stay in Australia
Read the Department of Home Affairs website carefully, including the step by step information that provides an overview of the visa application process. You will have to pay visa costs and might also have to pay other costs for health checks, police certificates and biometrics.
Generally in the higher education sector the processing time for a student visa is
- 75% of applications in 24 days
- 90% of applications in 45 days
Your application can take longer to process if
- you do not fill it in correctly
- you do not include all the documents the Department needs or if more information is required from you
- it takes the Department time to verify your information
Decision about the visa application is notified in writing and will include the
- visa grant number
- visa expiry date
- visa conditions
If visa is refused you may have a right to a review of the decision. The application fee will not be refunded if visa is denied.
Once you commence study on a student visa you are required to notify the college and the Sydney College of Divinity if you change from a student visa to an Australian Permanent Resident Visa, Australian or New Zealand citizenship status. Changes to your visa status may affect your fee arrangements and eligibility for Australian government support.