International Students

Costs explained

Understand your costs 

As a condition of the Australia Student Visa, students must have sufficient funds to pay all costs of studying in Australia, including tuition fees, living expenses, Overseas Health Cover, return airfares and visa fees.


Fees charged by the Member Institution and schools of the Sydney College of Divinity is the same for international and domestic students. Your fees will depend on the college you enrol with, calendar year of study and the course. Most courses and units of study have required or recommended course materials, such as books, readers, materials and equipment. There may also be costs associated with additional work (eg fieldwork) required for study. Prospective students should factor in increases to fees over the life of the course as fees may be subject to increases every calendar year.

International students may be required to make an upfront fee payment and will be required to pay their fees before the census dates.

Living costs

Knowing the average living costs in Australia is an important part of your financial preparation. The recommended budget as of October 2019 for a single student is AUD$21,041 per year, with an additional AUD$7,362 per year for a spouse and AUD$3,152 per year, per child.  For accommodation check with the colleges as they may provide student accommodation on site.  To help you understand more about your everyday costs, the Australian Government website Study in Australia, has detailed information for international students. Visit Study in Australia

Living costs vary depending on your location within Australia, and your study and personal needs.

Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)

Health insurance is compulsory for most international students who are studying in Australia. It is a condition of your student visa that you maintain OSHC for the duration of your studies. You must purchase your health cover from an Australian Government-approved provider.

Visa Costs

There are costs associated with applying for a visa. This will include the visa fees and any other expense associated with it (eg. administrative costs to prepare the documents requested).

Travel expenses

Airfares to and from Australia to your country of residence will form part our expenses. Once in Australia you may need to travel for study, leisure and other purposes.

In addition one must be prepared for emergencies, costs associated with paying phone and utility bills which may vary depending on usage, costs associated with processing your admission requirements (eg fee to translate transcripts to English) and other expenses.

You may also be able to start work in Australia on a student visa after you have commenced the course. During the semesters you can work up to 40 hours per fortnight. You can work unlimited hours during the college term holidays. If you are studying a postgraduate research course (Higher Degree by Research) you are exempt from the restricted work hours and can work unlimited hours. Paid work may help to contribute to your finances once you are in Australia. Always check the conditions of your visa before you decide to commence any work.

Find a Course
Back to top