Graduate Diploma of Leadership
Why undertake a Graduate Diploma of Leadership?
The Graduate Diploma of Leadership is designed for those possessing a three year undergraduate degree in the field of philosophy and religious studies who wish to pursue a further qualification with a leadership focus as part of their continuing education for ministry.
The Graduate Diploma of Leadership focuses on building leadership capacity for people involved in a wide scope of religious, non-profit, community focused enterprises. Students may be working for denominationally based organisations in education, welfare, aged care, local church or other ministries requiring specific leadership training for ministry or mission.
What do I need to gain entry?
One of the following:
- A three-year AQF level 7 award (usually a bachelor degree) in the field of Philosophy and Religious Studies from an Australian tertiary institution or equivalent;
- Meet the English Language requirements for entry to the course. If your previous studies were undertaken in another language you’ll need to complete an IELTS test and have a result of 7.0 with no score less than 7.0 in all bands of the test.
How long will I be studying for?
1 year full time or up to 3 years part time. The maximum time allowed is 3 years. Full time is usually three or four units per semester, part time is one or two.
How much will it cost?
- The fees per unit and indicative annual fees differ between Teaching Bodies. There is a chart of indicative costs here, but please contact the registrar at the appropriate Teaching Body for further information;
- FEE-HELP is available, make sure that you read and understand the information on FEE-HELP here and make sure that you include on your application that you would like to use FEE-HELP.
How will I attend lectures?
Online, face-to-face or a combination of both. This differs depending on the Teaching Body that you decide to study with. Contact the registrar of the applicable Teaching Body for further information.
How do I enrol?
You can access the application form from the website of the Teaching Body with which you would like to study, or contact their registrar to have a chat about the course. You will need to provide some supporting documentation including certified copies (signed by a JP or other authorised person) of:
- 100 points of ID (usually a passport/birth certificate and driver’s licence);
- Transcripts from previous study;
- Change of name documentation and/or the results of an IELTS test if relevant.
The registrar at the Teaching Body you are submitting your application to will let you know if there is anything else that you need to provide.
What do I have to do to make sure I complete my course successfully?
8 units (72 credit points) to be selected from 8500 and 9600 series units:
- Two compulsory units:
- P8570 Foundations of Christian Leadership;
- P8584 Non-Profit Governance for Ministry
- Two core units from the list of Master of Leadership core units;
- Four elective units from the SCD schedule of units – These units are broken up into four Disciplines, which are in turn broken up into Sub-Disciplines. These are:
I’ve done previous study in Theology, what should I do?
You could be eligible for credit, but this is capped at two units depending on the study you’ve completed. Have a chat to the registrar at your chosen Teaching Body about applying for this.
I want to complete more study after my Graduate Diploma of Leadership, what should I do?
This depends on where you want to go in your career, and what your grades have been like throughout your studies. The Graduate Diploma of Leadership is a ‘nested’ degree with the Master of Leadership. This means that it is possible to receive full credit into the Master of Leadership if you hand back your Graduate Diploma of Leadership documents upon graduation from the Masters.