Bachelor of Ministry

Why undertake a Bachelor of Ministry?

The Bachelor of Ministry is an in-depth course of study that will provide you with the skills in ministry and an understanding of the Bible, Christian Thought, and Traditions. It will also provide you will skills in self-reflection, synthesizing theological knowledge, and discernment, and will help you to understand other faiths. This knowledge and understanding is extremely important in the multi-cultural society of today where the media is full of complex international relations and the threat of terrorism.

What do I need to gain entry?

One of the following:

  • ATAR of 65 or above, or its equivalent, with English proficiency;
  • Be over the age of 21;
  • Have adequate grounds for special entry;
  • Articulate from another course with the SCD (for example, complete the Diploma of Ministry);
  • Have completed previous tertiary study (you may be eligible for recognition of prior learning, contact the Registrar of your chosen Member Institution to find out if this applies to you);
  • Meet the English Language requirements for entry to the course. If your previous studies were undertaken in another language you’ll need to complete an IELTS test and have a result of 6.5 with no score less than 6.0 in all bands of the test.

How long will I be studying for?

3 years full time or up to 9 years part time.

The maximum time allowed for the completion of the course is 9 years.

Full time is usually 3 or 4 units per semester, part time is 1 or 2.

How much will it cost?

The fees per unit and indicative annual fees differ between Teaching Bodies. There is a chart available here, but please contact the registrar at the appropriate Teaching Body for further information;

FEE-HELP is available, make sure that you read and understand the information on FEE-HELP here and make sure that you include on your application that you would like to use FEE-HELP.

How will I attend lectures?

Online, face-to-face or a combination of both. This differs depending on the Teaching Body that you decide to study with. Contact the registrar of the applicable Teaching Body for further information.

How do I enrol?

You can access the application form from the website of the Teaching Body with which you would like to study, or contact their registrar to have a chat about the course. You will need to provide some supporting documentation including certified copies (signed by a JP or other authorised person) of:

  • 100 points of ID (usually a passport/birth certificate and driver’s licence);
  • Transcripts from previous study;
  • Change of name documentation and/or the results of an IELTS test if relevant.

The registrar at the Teaching Body you are submitting your application to will let you know if there is anything else that you need to provide.

What do I have to do to make sure I complete my course successfully?

24 units (216 credit points) at the following different levels:

  • 7100 level = first year introductory units
  • 7200 level = second year units
  • 7300 level = third year units

These units are broken up into four Disciplines, which are in turn broken up into Sub-Disciplines. These are:

One major AND one submajor in Christian Life and Ministry (or its subdisciplines) – This means at least ten units must be chosen from the discipline of Christian Life and Ministry.

What is a major? – Six units, consisting of no more than two units at 7100 level, and at least one unit at 7300 level.

Two submajors, one in Biblical Studies and one in Theology.

What is a sub-major? – Four units. No more than two 7100 level and at least one 7200 level. You will need one in Biblical Studies and one in Theology.

I’ve done previous study in theology, what should I do?

You could be eligible for credit, but this is capped at 16 units depending on the study you’ve completed. Have a chat to the registrar at your chosen Teaching Body about applying for this.

I want to complete more study after my Bachelor of Ministry, what should I do?

This depends on where you want to go in your career, and what your grades have been like throughout your studies. For students who have achieved a credit average or above throughout their studies it is possible to complete the Bachelor of Ministry (Honours), and then if a certain standard is achieved in this and you would like to go deeper into your theological studies you could pursue a Doctoral program. Have a chat with the registrar of your chosen Teaching Body if this is something that you’d like to consider doing.